white powder on lemon leaves

I have noticed that my lemon tree has a white powdery substance on its leaves, there is none on the new leaves, is this powdery mildew and how can I get rid of it?

Williamson County Texas

I am not really sure what it would be without a visual aid. It could be a powdery mildew however. As its name suggests, powdery mildew has a powderlike appearance in shades of white or grey. This fungal growth covers the surface of leaves, stems, blooms and fruit, and can cause foliage to curl, yellow and drop. Powdery mildew is prevalent when spring conditions are warm and humid, spreading from overwinter pathogens hiding on fallen plant debris and dormant buds. Unlike other fungal diseases, powdery mildew doesn’t require moisture for germination and spreads via spores carried through the air. Thankfully, powdery mildew is more of an annoyance than serious disease and rarely threatens the life of a healthy lemon tree. Preventing powdery mildew with good cultural care and preventive fungicide sprays helps to ensure the lemon tree won’t come under attack by this fungal pathogen. Make sure diseased leaves and stems are removed from the area. Please contact the office with further questions. 512 943 3300