10 week old pullet laid an egg

I purchased my chicks April 6th, they were a day old. I have been feeding them Nutrena Chick Starter/Grower 18% protein, from day one, free feed. They have been out of the brooder and in the coop/outside run for two weeks. They have free access to grass and bugs and their food. Today, I found an egg in the run. The pullet (I believe the Buff Orpington is the culprit, bright red face on her), scratched out a spot in the dirt and left me an egg. What am I doing wrong? And how can I correct this so she doesn't continue to lay at this young age? The only thing I have changed, as of late, I turned on the heat lamp (red light) in the coop, it hasn't been on for a week. We went down into the low thirties last night. Any advice would be helpful.

Bonner County Idaho poultry raising chickens chickens egg production chicken health

Hi,
You do not seem to be doing anything wrong, in my experience it is all about genetics. You have a female that is ready to lay eggs very early and that's OK but once her system is turned on you can't turn it off. In other words she will continue to lay eggs as her biological clock dictates. Just plan accordingly. Your other birds will probably not be that early.

A heat lamp is fine at night and just turn it off during the day time, unless you have a cold day, then leave it on then. We usually use 125 watt heat bulbs instead of the 250 watt bulbs so they don't get too hot. But the choice is yours.

Thanks,
Larry

Thank you Larry.