Identify cherry tree

I have a 50 foot cherry tree in my backyard it seems to be a wild cherry the fruit is purple to Black they're sweet they're good but I don't know what it is

Multnomah County Oregon fruit trees cherry trees horticulture

It is possible that the cherry tree has grown from a seedling. If this is the case then it will be unique and unlike any other cherry tree in the world. When cherry trees produce seeds their progeny will have characteristics of both parent trees and will not completely resemble either one.

If it is a known variety, it is very difficult to truly identify the variety without a DNA test, which is only done in a limited number of labs in the U.S. and is very expensive. You might be able to get a reasonable idea of what it possible is by comparing fruit quality traits and timing of harvest with known varieties. Here is a link to information about the common varieties grown in the Pacific Northwest. http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/20801/pnw604.pdf.