Jananese Beetle Season

I know they are coming, but I don't know when. I'd like to spray my canna & roses with an obnoxious spray just before they are due. Can you advise me when, and do you have a recommended spray to make the foliage distasteful to the beetles

New Castle County Delaware insect management japanese beetles beetles

Japanese beetles should be out within the next week or two at the latest. They were noticed last week in Salisbury, MD. There are a number of products on the market available for Japanese beetle control. I generally do not recommend one product over any other. Sevin, neem-containing products, or any of the commercially available pyrethroids (active ingredient ends in -thrin) are available at garden centers and box stores in our area. Imidacloprid has been an option previously but with concern about pollinator safety I do not recommend this product in this instance. It could be an option, but you would need to check the label to make sure the pest is still on the label. Professionals have access to other products.