Mold on straw bales

Asked June 15, 2016, 2:40 PM EDT

I am doing some straw bale gardening. Last week one of the bales developed 3 brown clumps that look like toasted marshmellows. It is some type of mold. Yesterday, I noticed another bale has a reddish-cream mold growing on its side. Will this hurt the plants? Can I blast the mold off with water or will that just spread the mold? Should I get rid of those bales or is there a way to get rid of the mold and keep the bales and plants?

Shelby County Kentucky

1 Response

Hi,
The "molds" are actually a fungus, like a mushroom. They are not harmful to the plants. You can blast them off or just remove them. I'd wear gloves in case they are poisonous.