an arborist told me i have tar spot on my maple tree. He also said it was...

an arborist told me i have tar spot on my maple tree. He also said it was yellowing and needed iron. The tree is 10" in diameter at the trunk base and 16 feet in diameter at the drip line. I did place 16 fertilizer spikes around the drip line this Spring. Solution? Do nothing re tar spot except remove lnfected leaves in fall?. More concerned re yellowing.

Clark County Ohio maple trees leaf yellowing

For tar spot most of the time we recommend that homeowners rake and destroy the leaves for control purposes. Treatment is only recommended when the fungus infection is extreme.
The yellowing could be an iron issue but if you want to be sure and want a recommendation as to what the tree needs to correct it - then send leaf samples to a lab to be tested. They will be able to determine what the tree is lacking. One such lab is located here in Ohio http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/services/analysis/plants.html This page will detail how to take samples and send them in. This way you will know exactly what the tree needs and can take steps to apply the right product.