I just replaced my septic leach field in Jefferson County. I need to reseed it.

I have an area about 100' x 100' that I need to reseed. In the process of covering the site I have about 3-4" of clay sub soil now on the surface. The contractor covered half of the area containing the original un-disturbed good soil cover with 100% clay sub-soil.

Several questions: (1) would it be better to remove the 3-4" of clay sub soil now covering the original good surface soil and haul it away to get back to the buried original good sub soil which already has native grass?

(2) can I add more top soil on top of the 3-4" of clay subsoil and create new good quality soil by adding horse manure and tilling together the clay soil, the manure and the new top soil? Or will the clay sub soil mixture prevent good natural grass growth in the future.

(3) It is now mid-June and with the hot weather coming in July and August should I wait until Fall to re-seed. The seed mix I purchased was from Eckters in Wheatridge, Colorado and was a mixture of drought resistance grasses good to 10,000' recommended for this application of creating a new grass cover in disturbed areas.. When I plant the new seed should I cover it with straw to help keep it from drying out in the sun and retain moisture after I plant.

I want to keep the area from becoming a weed patch and get seed down as soon as reasonable to keep the weeds out. Please advise. Thank you.

Jefferson County Colorado soil and fertility issues

Anytime soil is disturbed the potential for weedy growth is almost assured. Plants that we, (Humans) define as weeds are opportunistic plants that colonize disturbed soil. I suggest managing the weeds that arise this summer and plant your grass seed in the fall (September). Grass seed cannot dry out while germinating so the on-coming hot weather will be a disadvantage to your success. do not add "Top Soil" there is no legal definition to "Top Soil" so you will never know what you are getting. instead add 3-6 cubic yards of compost and till it in as deeply as possible before fall planting.