Apple tree leaf holes

I planted dwarf Honeycrisp and Snowsweet apple trees last fall. I pruned the trees in late April, and leaves came out in early May. In mid-may, about three out of 30 leaves on each tree developed some holes. No further progression since then. I read your page about holes in leaves, but none seem to fit my situation exactly. Do you have any ideas about cause, or suggestions for treatment? I have photos attached.

Crow Wing County Minnesota tree health apple tree

Thank you for the question. Even though your photos don't exactly match the self diagnostic program on our Extension website, we would say it most closely matches the photo of cankerworm damage. Most healthy trees can tolerate this quite well as long as it doesn't happen severely and repeatedly over several years. Be on the look out for the small green cankerworms, although they may be done for now. Read more here:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/fruit/apple/leavesholes.html

Thank you for contacting Extension.