white pines with or without removal of red pines

We live in Woodbury MN and we have 8 red pine trees that have been in failing health the last 2-3 years. There is some new pine needles growth, but we don't think they will recover to a point of looking good any more. We have planted one white pine about 2 years ago and it is doing nicely. We are considering to cut down the other 8 and replace them with 3 or 4 white pines. My husband thinks that the original 8 were planted too close to each other. Dilemma: I know my husband and I will disagree on this, but I am the author of this email, so here is my concern. I read some about the white pines on your website. It talks about how the white pine will do best (?) under older thinning trees that will offer some shade. I am wondering if it would be best to leave the red pines. plant the white pines and cut down the red when the whites are more mature? My husband will be adamantly against this and want to cut down the reds to get them out of the way because it will be easier to remove now rather than later when we would have to get around the whites. I get this, but I want what is the best environment for the white pines to do well in. I hope this is clear to you. I will add a picture of the situation. Thank you, Rita Sicora PS. dead lawn was intentional to remove and re-seed.

Washington County Minnesota trees and shrubs pines white pines

In principle the approach you prefer might benefit the white pines but to what extent in a non-forest environment is difficult to say.

If you haven't seen it, information at this website will be of interest but it probably won't settle the question. (See the section "Where to Plant.")
http://dnr.state.mn.us/treecare/whitepine/whereplant.html

Why not ask a MN Department of Natural Resources forester to be the final arbiter?.

Division of Forestry- Headquarters- St. Paul

500 Lafayette Rd
St. Paul, MN 55155-4044
tel. 651-259-5300