baby sagebrush popping up everywhere there is dirt on our one acre property

can you recommend a product that will kill these small weed like sagebrushes that are growing in areas like the dirt roads, walking paths, trails and driveways on our property? this is the first year in 23 years this has occurred to this extent that pulling them out by hand is overwhelming. we used a product (Spectracide) that killed most the other weeds but no effect on the little sages. This property is mostly developed with lots of trees, gardens, lawn etc so obviously we don't want to loose any of that vegetation. Thank you for any solution you may have!

Washoe County Nevada

Can you send a picture of the weeds? It is hard to make a recommendation without knowing exactly what it is.

Thanks for sending the pictures. I've been trying to find some information, but must admit I haven't been too successful. The herbicides I have found that will control sagebrush are for use in rangelands and are not appropriate or labeled for landscape use.

I would suggest a couple of steps to take:
1. See if you can get it identified as to which sagebrush it is. It appears that it might be silver sagebrush (Artemisia cana) which spreads by rhizomes as well as by seed. If that is the case, you need a chemical control because most mechanical efforts will just further spread the plant.
2. I would check with your local weed control agencies (www.washoeweeds.com) or with the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension offices in Reno. Hopefully they can help you identify it and recommend an appropriate control program.

Sorry I can't be of more help.