Crepe myrtle root system

I have a crepe myrtle thats been in a pot for almost 2 years. Partly because I didn't want to kill it with my black thumb and partly because I did not know where to plant it. Trying to do some research on best location to plant it, and I have come across several differing views. One article says it has a shallow root system and grows horizontally, to plant no closer than 4-6 feet away from foundations and other plants/trees. How invasive are the roots and how far away should I plant from possible water lines? Will they penetrate water lines and will they kill the grass that could potentially grow underneath it?

Bexar County Texas

Hello

Be it a crape myrtle or any tree, the key here is knowing the growth habit and potential for the roots below and the canopy above.

There are many sizes of crape myrtles. So, I am presuming it is a standard tree type.

If this is the case and after 811 has been contacted, I would space it a minimum of 10 feet away from any potential problem.

David Rodriguez -Extension Horticulturist
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
Bexar County /San Antonio