Poison ivy

We have lived in Dodge county Wisconsin for over 30 years and over the last 2 to 3 years poison ivy has grown to an epic situation in our area. I am highly allergic to poison ivy. Poison ivy has been popping up everywhere in our 3 acres of land. I have been spraying the poison ivy with Roundup poison ivy control in our yard. As I took my dog for a walk down the road today there is so much poison ivy along the roadside. Is there someway or someone who can tackle a large amount of poison ivy along the road. We never had this problem when we first moved out here. Even in our yard I can hardly keep up to killing it all. I would appreciate your help. Thank you so much for your help.

Dodge County Wisconsin poison ivy horticulture

I share your pain (or maybe it's your itches). I am forever removing poison ivy from our two acres. RoundUp is the way to go for larger plants. For seedlings, I invert a plastic bag over my hand and use that like a glove to pull small plants, then just turn it right side out again, with the plants inside and dispose of that. But it's hard to find them all when the birds keep dropping seeds all over. And that may be why you have more all of a sudden; with a few plants with fruit the birds eat those fruit and drop the seeds nearby, creating more and more plants.

The roadside issue is something you'll have to address with the county or your municipality. Perhaps your local county UW-Extension office (http://counties.uwex.edu/) can advise you on who to contact.