I have a small pond on my hillside property. How can I find out if it is a...

Asked May 30, 2016, 9:43 PM EDT

I have a small pond on my hillside property. How can I find out if it is a fracture spring or an old well? The house was built In 1922. The pond has been lined with a plastic liner but the center seems to be bottomless. My shovel handle goes all the way in and I have not felt a bottom. When it rains hard there does not seem to be any runoff down hill from the pond and the water level stays consistent. There is a stagnant smell to the water. The location is on Harmar Hill in Marietta.

Washington County Ohio

3 Responses


First I think we can eliminate that the pond is probably not well-fed. Ponds are either spring-fed or water shed fed.

Tim Holder, NRCS Washington County, has knowledge on almost every pond on Harmar hill but he is not familiar with yours. After contacted him with your question he would like to do a site visit to your pond. At this time, we'll be able to answer any questions you may have as well as give you advice for your pond. You can contact Tim Holder @ 740-236-0702. Ponds visits are part of his job responsibilities and there is no fee whatsoever. His office is past the Adult Career Center on the left if you want to visit him beforehand.

Thank you for your quick response. I was able to connect with Tim and he will be meeting with me next week to take a look at the pond.

Great!!! I'm sure he'll amaze you with all of his pond knowledge. If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact the Washington County OSU Extension office at 740-376-7431.