fuyu persimmon leaf curling

i have a young and lovely fuyu persimmon tree in my outer nw portland garden (elevation 750 feet) that i planted a few years ago. it actually produced fruit last year that was delicious, while a few of the crop dropped before ripening. the leaves are showing a lot of damage. please see the photos attached to let me know what the problem is, and the organic solution. there is nothing inside the rolled up leaves. even flat leaves show signs of damage. thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon persimmon abiotic problem

Thank you for including the images of damage on your persimmon. You’ll be happy to learn that no remedy other than time is needed. Even so, a few more leaves and/or leaf parts may dry and shrivel, and here's why.

Many of the leaves in the images show linear tears which result from hail. If the tree is in a windy site, or if occasional windy episodes occur, some of those torn leaves may split further, separating the leaf blade from the water supply; it will then dry/shrivel. When you look closely, you’ll also notice some brown specks as in the 3rd image; that’s where hail hit the leaf and bounced off.

dear jean,

thank you so much for your prompt and positive response to my question! i am happy it is nothing to worry about!

that is great news! plus the deer don't seem to eat it (it's in my front yard!). such a lovely and already fruitful tree.

again, thanks,
linda

dear jean,

again, thanks,
linda