Vole erradication

I am seeing six vole mounds in landscape berms surrounding our lawn. Our Landscaper (TJ Todd) asked me to contact you to get information regarding getting rid of the voles. The mounds and raised runs are not in the lawn yet but I am afraid they will migrate. Apparently voles are becoming a problem here in Bend and in Redmond according to the landscaper. I went to WILCO and saw several traps/devices to rid of voles. I am seeking advice which or what is the most effective and efficient way to get the little devils before they devastate our yard. Our house is located off Mt. Washington Drive in west Bend near the OSU-Cascades Campus. Do you have information that will help me get rid of the voles?

Deschutes County Oregon vertebrate pest management voles horticulture

Thank you for your question regarding how to manage voles in your yard. You can manage voles using a variety of methods including habitat modification, plant protection, baiting and trapping. The following publication provides detail about these methods that you may find helpful:

Meadow Voles and Pocket Gophers: Management in Lawns, Gardens, and Cropland. http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edComm/pdf/PNW/PNW0627.pdf

I recommend that you call the Deschutes County Extension Office to talk with the Master Gardener on duty or the OSU Extension faculty member, Amy Jo Detweiler. The phone number is 541-548-6088. Amy Jo or the Master Gardener will be able to talk with you directly about your specific situation and provide a more detailed response. You may be asked to provide photos of your yard, which will be useful to determine the most appropriate management method.