Plant identification

A plant popped up in my flower garden that I have never seen before - I would appreciate any help with its identification. Last year I purchased a generic packet of wildflower mix (I think it was Burpee), so this possibly could have been in their seed mix. Plant height is less than 12 inches. The green flower has sharp rigid hairs along the bottom of the flower, near the stem. I would like to know the identification of this plant and is it considered a wildflower or a weed. Thanks, Dan Soderlund

Rice County Minnesota

Hi,

It is some kind of coneflower, but I can't tell from the picture if it is a healthy green flower or if this coneflower has aster yellows. I would probably remove the plant in an abundance of caution. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advi...

Susan, thanks for the response. I have had purple coneflowers in this garden. I have seen this leaf structure before, but never allowed it to get to the flowering stage. The flower is solid green.

I will remove them and destroy the plants to prevent further infestation.

Thanks again!

I think that is the wisest action.