Maple tree issues

I planted two maples last fall. They began to come out of dormancy this spring and a week or two ago literally overnight the small leaves turned brown dried out and died. There are some leaves still alive but they don't look so hot either. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to revive them?

Sherburne County Minnesota trees and shrubs maple trees maple dieback maple diseases

What you have described is typical of plants affected by winter damage. Although last winter was relatively mild, the trees might have been more susceptible because they were recently planted.

This is what might have happened: The tree had enough stored carbohydrates in the wood to get the buds growing in the spring. But the underlying vascular tissue that conducts water had died or been significantly injured. When the first warmish days arrive, and water is needed, the buds wilt and die due to a lack of water from the root system.

There is little chance that the most severely affected tree with survive. So long as twigs/branches remain supple, there is hope. When twigs/branches become dry and brittle there is none. The best you can do is provide plenty of water during dry spells.

Under the circumstances, it's possible that the tree with living leaves will continue to decline.