I own 30+ acres in the Oak Hill area and am concerned with my Tulip Poplars....

I own 30+ acres in the Oak Hill area and am concerned with my Tulip Poplars. The mature trees for the last 2 yrs are producing stunted and diseased leaves. The young undergrowth poplars have normal sized leaves but are beginning to wither and turn brown on the edges. Maybe that was this years late frost but the concern is still there. Are there any known problems with Tulip Poplars? Ive known the to be very hardy and never heard of any timber problems.

Jackson County Ohio

There have been some issues with scale insects in the last couple of years but that wouldn't necessarily lead to stunted growth. I would suggest contacting your Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry service forester to see if he can take a look and give you some thoughts on what is going on. Your foresters name is Perry Brannan and his office day is Thursday. Contact him at 740-589-9915 or email him at perry.brannan@dnr.state.oh.us
The other option is to send some samples in to our diagnostic clinic - more information about the diagnostic clinic can be found at http://ppdc.osu.edu click the tab marked 'submit a sample' to help you with the process.