Can I sell produce from my garden?

Hi, I am a home gardener and would like to know if I can sell raw, uncut, unprocessed produce from my garden out of my house. I would also like to know if there are any restrictions on online sales. What are the laws and regulations that would apply to me, from both an agriculture and small business standpoint? Thank you! Alison

Prince George's County Maryland marketing zoning urban agriculture urban farming

Hi, Alison! Where do you live?

Thanks,
Kim

I live in Hyattsville, Maryland (PG County). However, I am considering moving to Montgomery County, so I'd like to know if there are any different laws and regulations there. Thank you!

Hi, Alison.

I'm not sure if my last response came through. Do you know what your zoning is? Currently there is an urban farm bill coming up that would expand urban farming in more zones in PGC. Yay! I wondered if you might be interested in providing verbal or written testimony on June 1 at 10am. As long as your are doing this as a business (and not just as a home gardener selling some extra veggies here and there) this would apply to you. I've attached a draft of the bill but there are going to edit the language so it will change again. Feel free to email me at kimrush@umd.edu for more details. Also, my counterpart in Montgomery County is Jeremy Criss (Jeremy.Criss@montgomerycountymd.gov) so please reach out to him.

My phone is 301.868.8780 if you want to chat more about the urban farm bill and regulations.