Crepe Myrtles

I would like to know what type of Crepe Myrtles will grow in Louisville. Also, where might I find one? Thank you Ramona Hyrne

Jefferson County Kentucky trees and shrubs crepe myrtle jefferson county kentucky horticulture

Crape myrtles are beautiful and are a great addition to most landscapes. With so many bloom colors and sizes available, it is difficult to select just one! Read the tags and select a labeled plant hardy to zone 6 or even 5 (remember, the lower the zone number the lower the temperature the plant will survive). Even though the crape myrtle you select will be hardy here, it may freeze to the ground during many Kentucky winters. Because it often freezes to the ground, it is usually grown as a shrub, not a tree. Crepe myrtles should be grown in full sun locations in well drained soils.

Many garden centers carry crape myrtles, but I would try to locate one in a local nursery. I am not sure who has the color/size you prefer and inventory varies day to day, especially after Mother's Day. Again, one of the nursery's are more likely to have a selection in stock or could perhaps order one for you.

Feel free to contact our office if you have other questions.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
502-569-2344
810 Barret Ave
Louisville KY 40204