Replanting/transplanting already-bloomed bulbs

Hello, I got some bulbs (I believe daffodil) that had already bloomed this spring. They've been out of the ground for a few weeks now, and the foliage is yellowing. Should I replant now or wait til fall to plant in order for them to bloom next spring? Thanks!

Hennepin County Minnesota

Thank you for the question. Bulbs that bloomed this spring and were allowed to die back naturally before being lifted should be stored in a cool dark place until fall. At that time they should be planted so that they can grow roots before winter. If the bulbs you have now were lifted before their foliage had a chance to recharge the bulb for next year, may not do too well next spring. The process of blooming depletes the bulb of its stored energy from the previous season. When the foliage is allowed to photosynthesize and recharge the bulb before dying back, there is a much better chance for a repeat bloom display next year. Read more about spring blooming bulbs here:

Thank you for contacting Extension.