Deep Root Tree Choices for Beaverton Streets

Hi, The Red Maples planted throughout Beaverton OR, have wreaked havoc on their sidewalks. They have a great program that reimburses homeowners for some of the cost to repair sidewalks and and plant new trees. They have a great list of trees they have approved for replacements, for 3, 4, 6 and 8 foot planting areas. As you know, it is very hard to find the perfect tree. Some of the trees (we like) on the list are susceptible to disease and insects and we do not want something with high maintenance or that we have to pay to maintain, for example to inject our new trees to keep insects at bay. My question is: Do you have a list of trees you can share with folks that do not get too huge and have deep roots that will not damage sidewalks and are the most disease and insect free? All our electrical service is underground in my neighborhood. I am assuming that if you have alternate suggestions that are not on Beaverton's approved list, I would be able to get the tree added to their list. We are open to any other suggestions you may have. Thanks!

Washington County Oregon urban forestry tree selection horticulture

I regret the delay in responding to your question. I sent a response last week and it must not have gone through.

There are many great street trees on the Beaverton street tree list that are not prone to major pest and disease problems. The native trees on the list symbolized by the State of Oregon icon are particularly good choices. In general, avoid trees like birch and linden which are susceptible to insect problems.

Portland/s street tree list has a few more trees and also has additional information including size that might help you to decide which tree(s) are right for your space. See https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trees/66682.

You might consult with a landscape designer if you need help selecting the right street tree.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Weston