A New Gardener With a Phalaenopsis Orchid

I have had my Phalaenopsis Orchid for a little over a month now, and it seems to be doing pretty well, but I would like to keep it that way. The other day I was informed that I should be misting my orchid since I have in an extremely dry climate (Colorado), and that I should be fertilizing it bi-weekly. I did get some fertilizer yesterday, and it was its first time since I had gotten it that it had anything other than water. The leaves at the bottom have seemed to be turning slightly, and two of the flowers do seem to be dying, but the rest of the buds seem to be doing rather well. The root system doesn't seem to have any problems, but again I am not really sure since I haven't really grown many things at all. My major question is about the leaves turning, and the two flower buds that are dying slightly. Should I be concerned with this? And will misting/fertilizing help if these are a problems?

El Paso County Colorado phalaenopsis houseplant

The following link covers the care of phalaenopsis. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/care-phalaenopsis-orchids-moth-orchid It would be better to keep your orchid on a tray of wet rocks as described in this link than to mist it. It could also use more light than it is getting on your coffee table. If you have had it for a month on your coffee table and is only losing two blooms and have a discolored leaf, you are doing well. Follow the guidelines in the link. vw

The problem with our apartment is that none of our windows really get any direct sunlight because all of them face east, and have a large thing that shades them rather well. The coffee table is one of the sunniest areas in the whole apartment except for maybe the window itself which is only about 4 feet away but was told that you should be careful about putting them in a window because of temperature and draft reasons. The last 2 days I have been moving it out onto the deck to sun for about an hour (not in direct sunlight, but sort of). Will this help?

You can only do the best that you can with what you have. In our area of the mid Atlantic region we can put orchids outside for the summer in bright indirect light.
Your increased light on the deck is fine, but watch the cold.