What kind of snake did I find in my basement?

I went down to my basement this morning and found this snake in the middle of the room. It was about 9-12 inches long. I have no idea what kind it is, but I would like to find out. I picked it up with a shovel and took it outside. It was extremely angry, biting and chomping at anything it could.

Harford County Maryland wildlife snake id

This looks like a juvenile black rat snake. They are considered very beneficial as they help keep rodent populations in check.
You may want to turn off all the lights in your basement during the day and look for light seepage. Use caulk or foam to tighten up any areas where cracks are, or around where wires/pipes/utilities come into the home. Check door sweeps and window gaskets as well, to keep out other insect and wildlife pests.
Here is our page on snakes, which you should find helpful, especially if you find a larger snake in the future: http://www.extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG64_Snakes.pdf