Eastern Oregon farming

What kinds of chemicals do farmers in that area use on their crops? We are considering relocating to the Union area and since we practice organic methods would want to know if it could become a concern with a potential neighbor. Thank you. Barbara & Cameron Johnson

Benton County Oregon small farm issues farm management agriculture

Wheat, peppermint and grass seed producers here would use similar pesticides and fertilizers as might be used in the Willamette Valley (except for slug bait since we don't have a slug problem luckily!). Mostly herbicides are used but occasionally fungicides are used to treat for disease and insecticides for insect problems when such pests become a threat. Regardless, any pesticide applicator is required by law to not allow ag-chemicals to leave the site of application. Organic production does occur in Union County amidst conventional production systems and I'm not aware of any problems to date. Bottomline, I see no reason to have any concerns for your organic production with future neighbors. Producers in this county are open-minded and are generally good neighbors. I would recommend opening a friendly line of open communication with your future "new" neighbors to establish a positive relationship and develop an understanding of each other's production system needs. Let me know if can be of any more assistance.

Thank you for a thorough & thoughtful response. Great to know this service is out there!

Glad I could be of assistance and please let me know if I can help out again in the future. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to attend the 40th Annual Union County Crops and Conservation Tour to be held on June 22, 2016! It starts at 7:30 am and goes until noon. Participants travel around the county on 4 school buses learning about agriculture in the area and then we provide a hot lunch for all participants (steak, baked potato and salad). The tour and lunch are both free too! For more info call 541-963-1010. Take care, Darrin