name this bird

Taken at Butterfly Wonderland in Scottsdale, AZ.

Maricopa County Arizona birds wildlife bird identification

This is a quail, but not a North American quail. I have contacted the facility to see what they currently have in their conservatory and will let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the lead! Could it be an Asian Blue Quail (Coturnix chinensis)?

Asian Blue Quail is a subspecies of King Quail which has a LOT of inherent variability (something like nine subspecies - some brightly colored some very plainly colored). That was my best assumption too but was hoping to hear back from the facility to confirm. If I hear anything I will let you know!

You are very easy to converse with and knowledgeable as well. One of my best experiences with "Ask an expert". This puts the question to bed for sure. Thank you.

Just heard back from Butterfly Wonderland and it is indeed Coturnix chinensis. They are calling it Chinese Buttonquail which is just yet another synonym for the same species!!