Grass growing in my shrubs

I have, what I believe to be, a low growing juniper bush that has lawn grass growing up through it. For years now, I have been trying to yank it out but it just keeps getting worse and this year it is really bad (see the photos). How do I get rid of the grass without killing the shrub? Is there a way?

Hennepin County Minnesota

Unfortunately, the best option for controlling these weed is a full spectrum herbicide that, if very carefully applied will kill the offending weeds (grasses) and leave the desired plant alone.

This is difficult to do with a dense plant like a sprawling evergreen, but with a very, very careful application these weeds can be controlled.

A full spectrum herbicide containing glyphosphate, and, or triclopyr will kill of these grasses. These chemicals will kill any growing plant that is exposed to it.
Check with your local landscape yard or full service Hardware store. they will be able to tell you which herbicides are appropriate.

You must carefully paint the herbicide onto the grasses and or weed that you want to kill. If you get any of the herbicide onto your desirable plant it will harm, or kill it.

Choose a warm, windless day, and a small paint brush (like a child's water color brush). Dip the brush into the herbicide and paint the offending plant. You don't need to soak it, a light brushing will do the job. Make sure that rain is not forecast for 24 hours. The herbicide can be reapplied after about three weeks - you will know if it's been effective by then.

Good luck, and thanks for contacting AaE.