Patriot Elm tree suitability for Maryland

Hello, My name is Cassian P. O'Rourke. I live in Severna Park. I'm searching for some nice, fast growing shade trees...that my community might consider as a replacement for the Pin Oaks that the builder planted along our street. Specifically, I was wondering if there is any information and local source for Patriot Elm seedlings in this area...and how they fair in our climate, soil etc. I am old enough to remember the wonderful Elms that we had surrounding us until the Dutch Elm disease virtually wiped all of them out across the country. Last fall we were in Germany and spent some time in the parks in and around Bavaria and big elm trees were common...and as beautiful as I remember them being. So with that as background this Spring I begin wondering about disease resistant elms and the internet indicates that the Patriot has proven to have excellent disease resistance, require litte maintenance, have all the great attributes of the Elms etc... so I would appreciate getting your opinion as well. Our electrical service is all buried so there are no overhead wires to be concerned about. Thank you in advance. P.S. I was referred to you folks but Christie Gurmuth in the Anne Arundel extension center

Anne Arundel County Maryland elm trees patriot elm

WE do not have information on Patriot elm seedlings in the area. You will have to contact large nurseries for availability.
Elms in general grow well in our area. We do not have specific research but look at the link from the National Arboretum for more information - 'Patriot' is a hybrid elm. http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/Patriot1.html
We also referenced the Manual of Woody Landscape Plant by Michael Dirr. "Patriot' ('Urban' x selection of Ulmus wilsoniana) is an upright stiffly vase shaped; dark green summer foliage, changing to yellow in fall and may stay narrower than most elms; 43'x25' in 13 years; high Dutch elm disease resistance, a USDA introduction. mh