peach tree

I planted a peach tree four years ago. The first year things seemed OK. Starting 3 years ago I began seeing a problem. Now it seems to be occurring earlier in the season. The problem is that the leaves become deformed and reddish. Eventually it seems to spread to the fruit. I don't know if this is a fungal infection or some infestation. Someone said it sounds like a nutritional issue. I think they said a lack of Mg or Phosphate. I have been fertilizing the tree with some stuff I purchased at Home Depot. Someone suggested getting the soil tested. Any suggestions?

Baltimore County Maryland

You may be referring to peach leaf curl, a fungal disease on the peach tree. This is a fungal disease that causes defoliation and fruit loss when the weather during bud swell and opening is cool and wet. No fungicides will control the disease after the buds open. It is too late to control now. Next spring you will have to apply a fungicide such as liquid lime sulfur (organic) before buds begin to swell. Thorough coverage of all bark and bud surfaces is important.
Send us photos so we can see what you may be dealing with.
See our publication for more information http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG77_IPM_Series_Ston...