Use of Landscaper Fabric

I have several areas of built up soil, of perhaps 6 - 8 inches in height on my property. These areas show signs of some erosion. My weeds are finally under control and I wish to put down medium hemlock bark dust, which I understand has a softer texture than fir. Grandchildren play in the area occasionally. Will putting down landscape cloth help control erosion of the clay soil? Will it help hold the new bark dust? Considering cost of the fabric and labor to install it, is it cost effective to do this step?

Washington County Oregon

Good morning! Before I can suitably answer your question, can you tell me what the pitch is of the area that erodes? Landscape fabric could possibly help with the soil, but putting mulch down on top, depending on the slant, will probably just wash
away with the rains. Planting ground covers such as Kinnikinick, Creeping Cotoneaster or Periwinkle will help more with erosion than anything else.

Another option is terracing every 5-6' with rocks or other retaining wall blocks.
I hope this makes sense. A picture of the area would also help answer your
question a bit better.

If I haven't answered your question, please send some pics and an estimate
of what the pitch is.

Thank you so much for your question!
Trina S.

Thanks. I'll do periwinkles! It will fit in with the colors, scale, and theme. I appreciate your help. Is it too late to start planting now?

Hi, No, it's not too late at all. Keep it moist until it's firmly established. After
that it will need periodic watering. If we have a drought like last year, it will require
water throughout the entire growing season.
Happy Gardening!
Trina S.