WANT TO PLANT FORSYTHIAS IN DOVER DE

I'M LOOKING AT HOMES IN DOVER, DE. I WANT PRIVACY FROM THE STREET. I LOVE FORSYTHIAS AND WANTED TO PLANT ON THE FRONT EDGE OF THE PROPERTY. I'VE DONE READING ON THE SUBJECT. SO THE QUESTION IS WHAT KIND OF SOIL WILL I FIND IN DOVER DE? AND HOW SHOULD I AUGMENT THE SOIL AND HOW DEEP SHOULD I MAKE THE HOLE TO ADD THE ADDITIONAL MATERIALS? I\ WANT TO GIVE THE BUSH THE MOST PRODUCTIVE LIFE I CAN?

Kent County Delaware sustainable gardening and landscaping home gardening forsythia flowering shrubs flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials

In general Dover has a loamy type soil. To be certain if the soil in a particular location needs any sort of fertilizers or amendments, a soil test should be done. Soil test kits can be purchased in Kent County at the Paradee Center, 69 Transportation Circle, Dover, DE 19901 (tel 302 730-4000). More information can be found at ag.udel.edu/dstp/. Forsythias tolerate most any type of soil.They are fast-growing and bloom best in full sun. To create a hedge, plant forsythias 3-4 feet apart and remember to check the dimensions of the mature cultivar you choose to adjust for spacing in the landscape. Some larger forsythia cultivars can become unruly and require more maintenance. They all require maintenance pruning to produce a healthy, vigorous, heavily blooming shrub. Shrubs should be planted in the ground at the same depth as they are in the nursery containers.