Hardy Kiwi No Flowers

Hi: I have what were labeled as two females and a male. They are about 8 feet from one another. The plants leaf out well and have thick stems but I have never seen any of the plants flower. They are now about 4-5 years of age. Any suggestions? Thanks so very much. H

Cumberland County New Jersey

Hello H,

If your kiwi plants are growing vigorously you probably simply need to keep waiting. I have three hardy kiwis in my home garden which have been growing for at least six years. Thus far we have had flowers on only one of the female plants.

I have included some links to hardy kiwi production recommendations from Penn State, Cornell and University of Minnesota below. According to these publications (and my own experience) it can take five to nine years for hardy kiwis to come into production. One source states that females tend to mature more quickly than males.

Maybe this will be the year you see some flowers!

Emmalea

Hardy Kiwi Production Information (you may find these useful in enhancing the growth of your plants)

Penn State Kiwi Production Guide

Cornell Kiwi Production Guide

University of Minnesota Kiwi Production Guide