Unwanted Bamboo

How to get rid of bamboo? I have bamboo growing in my back yard. My neighbor backyard had bamboo growing for years. about three years ago I saw sprigs spring up in my backyard here and there. They grow rapidly by leaps and bounds. It almost took over the back end of my yard. I cut it down and now it's springing up again. I want to get rid of it for good. What do I need to do or use to get rid of it?

Prince George's County Maryland bamboo bamboo control invasive controlling bamboo non-native invasive plant how to kill bamboo

We get this question a lot. Bamboo is a non-native plant what is officially known as an Invasive plant because of the damage it does.

1. It has a limited growing period each year. Cut it down after that period, and it will stay cut back until the next spring.

2. You can kill the bamboo on your property with a systemic herbicide but you cannot kill your neighbor's bamboo on his property without his permission. If your neighbor has already killed his, you are in a good situation because you can kill your bamboo without worry. (You may want to share some of this information with your neighbor.)

Here is a short publication that explains how to kill bamboo on page 2. It is a 2-step process. Follow the timing and herbicide applications exactly. http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG28%20Bamboo.pdf

3. Contact your local representatives and let them know your problem so they change the law to make bamboo owners responsible for preventing its spread.