Solar Hot Water system

I recently acquired a home with a solar hot water system that does not seem to be working. I have been unable to find anyone who can assist me in seeing what is the problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of the system are available.

New Castle County Delaware home energy solar hot water heater hot water heater

There is not too much that can go wrong with that system. Check to see if it is full of water. Make sure the pump and pump controls are getting electricity and working. We are then left with a blockage in the plumbing.

The system should have an expansion tank in the plumbing that is full of air. It is a shock absorber for the system. It allows for a bit of expansion and contraction of the water as the temperature fluctuates.

Send the pictures to the email address below, or attach them to the reply to this answer. Also is this heat just for hot water, or is it a hot water home heating system?

Frank:

Thank you for the response.

I am attaching three pictures of the system. I have two other images, which show the expansion tank and the hot water storage tank next to the back up electric hot water heater. If you would like me to send those pictures also, just let me know.

Once you have viewed them, I would appreciate if you could direct me to a resource who could undertake the tests, such as electicity to the pumps for me, and/or provide me with any other suggestions.

The system is for hot water only.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Frank:

Thank you for the response.

The system is for hot water only.

Thanks again for your assistance.

I cannot tel much from the pictures. But, I can get enough information, that I think I have found web resources and diagrams. I am going to share vendor websites, but realize they are for examples only. I am not knowledgeable enough on the vendor to recommend them. Vendor site with diagrams and parts lists. Diagram large enough to read.

Most plumbing, heating and AC service businesses should be able to check controls, plumbing, and electrical. I am in Missouri, so I cannot do much better than that for a referral.

Just a note: If you have hard water and previous owners and service techs did not use softened water in the solar collector and heat exchanger loops, you could have limestone slag buildup that might block the plumbing.

Let me know if this helps.