Shrubs for shade

Recently I planted dwarf bush honeysuckle as a border plant on the sunny side of my home but I am now looking for something similar that griws best in shade. I am looking for something that provides food/shelter for wildlife and birds and would ideally have nice color in fall. It would also need to grow well in soil with a high clay content.

Mille Lacs County Minnesota clay soil shrubs for shade

Thank you for the question. The dwarf honeysuckle bush also does well in shade and on clay so if you like it, you could plant them in the new location. Their flowers are attractive to pollinators and the suckering, dense shrub would also provide shelter to small birds and animals. If your site gets at least part sun, there are many options such as redosier dogwood, witch hazel, winterberry, and more. Read through this publication to learn about options:

Remember to choose shrubs hardy to zone 4 or less.

Thank you for contacting Extension.