Central Florida snake

Many years ago right, wrong or otherwise, I killed a very large snake which was pretty aggressive around family members in central Florida. I never saw a snake like this. It was between 7 1/2 to 8 ft long, light tan in color and had 2 very large fangs in his mouth. They were easily 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and hollow. Snake had no markings, was likely about 3 inches in diameter, no rattles. I felt at the time it was not native to this country but had escaped captivity. I Thought it was poisonous. I have tried to ID The snake by photos and the closest was the Austrailan Brown. Any suggestions or can you suggest any info at all. At one time I had a pic but cannot find it. This was likely 25 years ago. Thanks in advance. Joe S.

Florida reptiles wildlife snakes

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, without photographs, it's impossible to identify your snake. There are certainly no native species of snake that match your description. Some of the Australian species, for example the Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis), the King Brown, or Mulga, (Pseudechis australis), the Coastal Taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus) and the Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus), have coloration that could match your description and can approach, or, in some species, reach 8 feet in length, but their fang length is much shorter than 1.5 - 2 inches. The Coastal Taipan has the longest fangs of any of the Australian elapids at up to 12mm (approx. 0.5 inch). The only species I'm aware of that has fangs in the 1.5 - 2 inch range is the Gaboon Viper (Bitis gabonica), found in Africa.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but thank you for using Ask an Expert.

Jim