Gladiolus

I have a lot of baby Gladiolas that are sprouting up. I didn't take the bulbs out of the garden beds. Should I just been them all out? Should I save the baby bulbs? Thanks for any help Rebecca 503.409.1385. Rebecca.bolante@gmail.com

Marion County Oregon flower bulbs gladiolus horticulture

Thank you for sending in this question,

If you are happy with the location of these "volunteers" then I would leave them to harvest as you normally would in the late summer or early fall. I think that they survived due to this past winter being milder then normal. Also some Gladiolas varieties will handle winter better then others.

I found this review for you:
Gladiolus are a gardener’s delight because they are easy to grow and offer a wide spectrum of colors. When planting times are staggered (weekly), they flower over the entire summer. Corms can be planted outdoors starting in early May. Planting depth to base of the corms is 4 to 6 inches. Use a well-drained soil and plant them 6 to 8 inches apart. Many gardeners like to plant in rows -- if so, the rows should be approximately 36 inches apart. A slow release fertilizer (5-10-10) should be applied at the rate of 3 to 4 lbs. per 100 ft2 of bed area when plants are 6 to 8 inches tall, and again when the flower spikes begin to appear in the foliage. Most Gladiolus do not overwinter. Therefore, the corms must be carefully dug and stored. After the foliage has dried, dig the corms, remove the soil, and cut off dead tops. Dry corms for 3 or 4 days in an open area and dust with an insecticide and fungicide. Store dry in mesh bags or trays at 35 to 41 0 F.

Published here, FLOWERING BULBS