Iris on the skin

Asked April 21, 2016, 2:41 PM EDT

My 11 month old touched a purple Iris plant. She was carrying it by the stem for quite some time before I was told it was poisonous. I washed hee hands and mouth just in case and took her clothes off. Will this irritate her skin if so what should I do. She isn't showing any signs of discomfort and it's been 30 minutes

St. Charles County Missouri flowers irises horticulture

1 Response

The Ask-An-Expert system is not meant to replace the Poison Control Center. If you are concerned about someone being exposed to a toxin you can call 800-222-1222 for help.
Sensitivities to plant toxins vary widely among the population. Iris can cause serious rashes in some individuals. Washing her skin with soap and water was the right thing to do. If you see no obvious signs of a rash, you can assume you took care of it soon enough or she is not especially sensitive. Irises only cause minor illness when ingested.