help identify this blob on nandina

Hello, Two days ago I found something attached to a nandina trunk. At first glance I thought it was a bat. At closer inspection I could tell it was not but could not figure out what although I thought it might be a nest of some sort, perhaps full of baby spiders or caterpillars. I suspect it is not plant growth. It almost appears to have a very thin "netting" over it. If you look at the very bottom of it there is a tiny bit hanging from it. It is about 4 or 5 inches long and perhaps 2 inches wide at the widest part. I've been trying to think what else could it be. The only other thing I could think of is perhaps it belongs to a moth. I looked online a did find a few pics similar. So if there is something inside I'd also like to know is it ok just to leave it or could be some destructive inside? I've attached picture from 3 sides. On the 1st pic you can see what almost looks like an eye (which is why my first thought was a bat-no, don't laugh at that) Thank you

Howard County Maryland insects nandina shrubs beneficial insects silk moth chrysalis silk moth chrysalis moth chrysalis

This is a silk moth chrysalis. Leave it alone, and a beautiful moth will emerge. Do a search on 'silk moth chrysalis' images and you'll see several exactly like this one.
Quite a find!