Shock a private well with chlorine

Asked April 20, 2016, 11:07 AM EDT

I want to shock my private well with chlorine bleach; I haven't done this in the 30 years I've been in my house. Do I bypass the water heater and water softener? Do you have clear, easy to follow instructions for shocking a well?

Thanks for your help.

Walworth County Wisconsin

1 Response

No! The whole system needs to be treated. Work the chlorine through all the plumbing system.

See our guide on shock chlorination.