Planting lilacs in Bend

I have some lilac cuttings that someone gave me last year, and I have had them in pots over the winter. I now need to plant them and am wondering where the best location here in Bend would be--sun or shade? How much space should I allow between them? Thank you!

Deschutes County Oregon horticulture lilacs

Thank you for your question about planting lilacs in Bend. I have attached a link to the publication entitled, “An Introduction to Xeriscaping in the High Desert”. This is an excellent resource describing the growing requirements for water-wise plants in this region. Lilacs are discussed on page 21.

In general, common lilacs reach a height of 8-12 feet, and spread 6-12 feet. Lilacs are described as a low water use plant. It is recommended that lilacs be planted in full sun to part shade. Lilacs can be used as a shrub border or hedge, and are considered fire resistant.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/deschutes/sites/default/files/xeri-all_1.pdf

If you need additional information, please contact the Master Gardener Plant Clinic at the OSU Deschutes County Extension Office. The Master Gardener on duty will be glad to talk with you about your gardening questions: 541-548-6088.