Starting a small-scale lacto-fermented vegetable business

Hi, I am a budding small scale entrepeneur. My hope is to start a small brine fermented hot sauce business; primarily selling direct at farmers markets. I have very little knowledge about how to get started. The regulatory framework, etc and was curious if OSU has any resources to help? A few of my more pressing questions... If I were to rent commercial kitchen space to make my product, can I transport it to my home for primary fermentation [in stone crocks] and subsequent cold storage? Thanks for you time! Sincerely, Thomas H.W. Trotter

Multnomah County Oregon entrepreneurship food safety food preservation

Hi Thomas,
Here is a link to an OSU Extension publication Farm Direct, Value Added - A Resource Guide to Making and Selling Food in Oregon.
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/osu_farmdirect_valueadded.pdf

I think this will provide you with the initial information you need, including contact information for individuals that can assist with more specific information. I hope this helps.

Thanks for contacting Ask an Expert,