Round up extended control

I used Round up extended control to kill the weeds in my vegetable and flower garden. I did not realize that the directions say that after use one cannot consume vegetables if grown in that soil. And that flower seeds will not germinate either. I did this yesterday. Is there anything you can suggest that I do so this area is usable this summer? I called the manufacturer and they were hesitant to suggest any solution. But I pestered them and was advised that if I removed 6 inches of soil and disposed of it and thoroughly washed any tools used. Then put in 6 inches of new soil I MAY be able to get flower seeds to germinate. But still not grow anything to be consumed. And she was not sure if that would work. I could make myself happy with just flowers this year. Do you think replacing the soil will likely work to plant flower seeds? It will be a lot of work to dig that much soil out then bring in enough to replace it. Do you have an opinion on this or another suggestion? I am so upset at myself for buying this product and not aware that it is different than the Round up I usually use. I wish that a notice was put on the outside of the bottle cautioning users. I just noticed the caution written inside an attached pamphlet after I finished

Baltimore County Maryland vegetables herbicide damage roundup phytotoxicity glyphosate pesticide roundup extended control

Some Roundup Extended Control labels, on the front label, do say that it lasts 4 months, but not all the labels do. As things stand, the responsibility lies on the buyer to read the entire label before applying. This has become more important than ever, now that many products are combinations of several ingredients.

Pre-emergent chemicals that prevent germination typically are not effective more than an inch or two into the soil. If the "barrier" they form is disturbed, they are no longer effective. You could try removing only a couple of inches of soil, replacing it, sowing radishes (cheap and fast germinating) to test if germination if possible. If so, then you can plant your flower seeds.
Of course, you can never plant edible plants in this soil this year.

We'd recommend that you plant in containers this year. Thats probably easiest.

Almost all Roundup products cannot be used in vegetable gardens. Read the labels. A pure glyphosate ingredient version may be labeled for safe use in a vegetable garden.

For further information, you can contact the National Pesticide Information Center: 1-800-858-7378.