Grafting an old summer gravenstein apple to new root stock

I have an old nearly dead summer gravenstein apple tree .I would like to graft it onto new root stock. What is the process . Thanks

Douglas County Oregon grafting

Scion wood, the wood from your Gravenstein tree, for grafting is collected while tree is still dormant (usually in late February or March). Scion wood should be straight and smooth and about pencil thickness. Water sprouts that grow upright in the center tops of trees are ideal. Harvest this wood in late February or early March and place in a food grade plastic bag. Place a small wad of damp paper towel or sphagnum moss in the bag to maintain moisture, seal, and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to graft, usually in mid to late April. A technique commonly used for spring grafting is whip or bench grafting. This technique involves joining a scion (variety) and rootstock of equal or nearly equal diameter. Whip grafting is generally done in mid to late April.

I have attached a publication that will help you in this process.

https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource003733_Rep5323.pdf