horsetails in the yard

hi again horsetails are all over in our landscape. we are organic and our yard is chemical free. the horsetails are really a pest. is there any no chemical treatment we can use to control, or better yet, get rid of them?? THANK YOU

Polk County Oregon horsetail horticulture

HI: Horsetail is a very difficult weed to control by any method, unfortunately. I include the URL of a nice summary of the various natural herbicides available to homeowners. Note that the article discusses varying control of small annual weeds, not a vigorous perennial weed like horsetail. I looked at a few labels for these products but none listed horsetail as one of the weeds controlled. So it is likely that mechanical and cultural methods will be the way to go. Repeated cutting or smothering with cardboard and mulch and of course digging should eventually reduce the extent of the infestation and ultimately eliminate it. I wish I had a better answer for you...

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=6498