Vegetable Garden Weed Control

I used some horse manure on my vegetable garden and now have Bermuda grass or something similar (i.e., very long trailing roots) all over my garden. The grass smoothers my strawberries in early summer and it also is effecting my red raspberries. How can I control this grass and still be able to eat the berries? I believe that some of the grape growers here in Maryland use massive amounts of Round Up to control weeds in the grape rows but this doesn't sound like a healthy way to control weeds; saturate the ground with poison and then eat the fruit. Thanks,

Calvert County Maryland strawberries raspberries weed control bermudagrass small fruits

If you are dealing with Bermuda grass, this is a tough weed to control and there are no easy answers.
Strawberries - It may be easiest to let the berries grow and harvest them. After harvest, control the bermuda grass. Once you get a handle on this you will have to start a new bed next year or however long it takes to control the bermuda grass.

Raspberries - May be a little easier to manage the bermuda grass. You can lay heavy duty weed block on each side of the row or bed to keep new shoots from coming up and will help in control. Do not cover the fabric with straw or a mulch as it can root on top of the fabric.

Thanks for reply on controlling Bermuda grass.

Can you use Round Up to control weed/grass and still eat the fruit (i.e., strawberries, raspberries, grapes)?

R, Scott

There are many formulations of Roundup and you will have to read the label directions. If you have questions on toxicity, contact the National Pesticide Information Line at 1-800-858-7378, http://npic.orst.edu/contactus.html