Asked April 8, 2016, 5:37 PM EDT

We are inundated with tiny little gnat flies they are to small for my chickens to see and eat how can we get rid of them. We have cows, goats and llamas as well so we need to control these pesky little creatures

Clackamas County Oregon

1 Response

Midge and gnat are the common names of various small non-biting flies we see early in the year. Although considered by some people to be a nuisance, none cause damage. Consider their presence as a temporary event that will clear of its own accord.

To have the flies identified, capture 6 or more, secure them in a clear container, and take them to the Clackamas County Master Gardeners. Their office is at 200 Warner-Milne Road, Oregon City, 97045; 503-655-8631. Hours weekdays 9 to noon and 1 to 4; closed holidays. Directions to the Extension Service office are here http://extension.oregonstate.edu/clackamas/about