Sick chicken

Asked April 6, 2016, 5:53 PM EDT

We recently brought three red star chickens into our small flock. One has become progressively ill where it's wings are drooped, loss of weight, and lethargic. We are thinking she will need to be euthanized but I know when there is avian illness, an extension office usually wants a necropsy to rule out any invasive avian illness. Could you direct me to the proper extension?

Harford County Maryland

1 Response

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken but happy to help with your question. Maryland Department of Agriculture is the agency that performs necropsies. You are correct that they request to be informed of disease outbreaks and may want a necropsy performed on your bird. Call their Animal Health office at 410-841-5810.