When to prune a mature pin oak.

When may or should I prune a lower branch of a mature pin oak? It is April 5, 2016, and buds have just barely begun to appear on the branches. All the brown leaves have finally dropped. If I cut the branch, does it have to be back to the trunk, or can it be only half way. The branch is about 16 feet long, and I'd like to cut it at the 8 ft. mark, where it is 1 1/2 inches thick. I may wish to prune one other, smaller branch as well. Is it wise to cut it now? When would be the best time? If I cut it now, what precautions should I take?

Clinton County Pennsylvania

Hi:
If you are just going to prune one or a couple of branches, you can still do it now. For a tree to properly heal from a pruning injury, you have to cut at the appropriate place. Since I can't see the branch, I can't tell exactly where you should do it. However, this publication can help you select the correct location.

http://extension.psu.edu/publications/agrs-095/view

Thank you for the response and the link. I decided to cut where I said, following the advice about where to cut, and then I added baby skin vaseline to the open cuts to guard against pin oak wilt. Hope it works to keep the tree healthy.

Hi:
Me too. Trees are amazing.