weeping cherry tree with a large wound at the base of the trunk

My weeping cherry tree has a large wound at the base of the trunk. Pictures attached. A few years ago, during the derecho, the tree suffered a stress fracture. Sap started leaking from the trunk on the opposite side from where this wound later developed. I don't know if they are related. I want to know if there is any way to treat the wound and, hopefully, save the tree.

Prince George's County Maryland weeping cherry mulch on trunk weeping cherry trunk wound

There is no way to "treat" the tree. We do not see an insect or disease. Most insects and diseases on weeping cherry are untreatable anyway. However...

We cannot see the flare of this tree's trunk where it enters the soil Pull back the mulch until you can see the trunk flaring out into the soil. Never let mulch pile on trunks of trees or shrubs. It encourages disease and also attracts boring insects--especially to weeping cherry trees!

Also, voles (little rodents that chew off bark) can hide under mulch on a trunk while they gnaw your tree. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/voles

Thank you for your response. I will adjust the level if the mulch. Is it likely that the tree will live? Or should I replace it? What do you think caused this?

We have no way to know what caused the wound, and we can't see the rest of the tree in order to judge whether it will survive. As long as the wound heals, your tree may survive. If you start to see dead branches or it does not leaf out fully with full-sized leaves this year, that can indicate that it is decline and needs to be replaced. (Weeping cherries have lots of problems.)